Saturday, June 27, 2020

The Glob-Thing Cometh in TACC Vol.4 No. 10


And so it came to pass that the Watchmen universe crossed over with the DCU

But betcha didn't know there was Swamp Thing/Watchmen crossover years before Alan Moore wrote either of these series... And so, for your edification, here is The Glob-Thing Cometh: A Short Story by Marcus Brazil:



Prescient. Or maybe not. But I did giggle at the smiley t-shirt, and there is a Heap (sic) of swamp monsters in comics, so we can add this one to the list

The Glob-Thing Cometh was published in The Australian Comic Collector Vol. 4 No. 10, cover-dated February 1980:


I invite Marcus to give us the lowdown on this story and its publication.

1 comment:

MarcusB said...

Hi Spiros, I don't remember what particularly inspired this story. I drew it when I was about 15 years old, possibly as part of a school art project. I was a big comic book fan, and had previously drawn dozens of pages of (mainly superhero) comics for my own amusement.

I had met Joe Italiano (the publisher of TACC) and bought some issues of his fanzine in 1979 at ComiCon I (one of the first Australian comic conventions) in Melbourne. This had been my first exposure to comic book fandom in Australia, as I Lived in Canberra, far from any comic book fan base. So I decided to submit the 2-pager to Joe for publication in TACC.

I definitely had thoughts at the time of one day becoming a comic book writer and artist, but my interest in comics and cartooning never became more than a hobby.