Sunday, August 23, 2026

Dating Epic Western Action

By my reckoning the KG Murray 96 page $0.99 cover price editions of the catalogue began September 1981. This was a small price rise from $0.95 whilst maintaining the page count. So, if I'm correct, surely all $0.95 cover price issues would be dated on or before August 1981, right?

Consider Epic Western Action:


James has documented a copy with a pull date 2, suggesting the issue was published three months earlier November 1981. 

I have spotted a copy with 1 written on the cover, and my own copy has 1/82 written on the rear cover. These markings suggest a publication date October 1981.

It appears that September-October 1981 was a crossover period in which both $0.95 and $0.99 cover priced issues appeared on the stands. 

This is not too surprising, as much as it twitches my OCD. (And I confess I'd be pleased for a copy to turn up with 11 or 12 written on the cover by newsagent.)

No comments: