Thursday, October 1, 2026

A Red-Letter Day in the Junkyard

There's mail calls, and then there's mail calls...

These two specimens landed in the Junkyard this morning:


Now, they may not be keys in the world of collectors but they are each significant milestones in my own collections.


The arrival of Batman #172 completes my run of this series from the 'New Look' Batman #164 to the current issue. Some 20 years ago I picked up Batman #200 and decided to fill in the missing issues of my collection to the present day. Once that was achieved I set my goal to complete the run from the 'New Look' onwards. This appeared to me at the time a reasonable cutoff point in terms of the series and the character, but it was also rather personal - I was born 1st July 1964, and the cover date of Batman #164 is June 1964. 


Colossal Comic #10 not only completes my run of this series but it completes my collection of the main super hero titles published by KG Murray since 1956. This was the year Murray began publishing the 100-page titles. This means I've completed series such as All Favourites Comic, Century Comic, The Hundred Comic, Superman Supacomic, Super Adventure Comic, All Star Adventure Comic and Mighty Comic, as well as the inheritors to these titles such as Tip Top Comic Monthly, Wonder Comic Monthly and World's Finest Comic Monthly, and many others. 

A red-letter day in the Junkyard!

No comments: