Sunday, June 20, 2021

Superman Presents Wonder Comic Monthly #29


Colour Comics' Wonder Comic Monthly #29 has is cover-dated September 1967:


The cover is modified from DC Comics' The Atom #30:



The main feature contents are as follows:

Daze of the Bat-Knights!, originally published in The Atom #30, April-May 1967 
The Man Who Collected Excitement!, originally published in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #3, January-February 1955
The Electric Man!, originally published in Strange Adventures #54, March 1955
The Cage of Doom!, originally published in Wonder Woman #169, April 1967
The Queen and I, originally published in My Greatest Adventure #8, March-April 1956
The Caveman Ranger, originally published in Tomahawk #109, March-April 1967
Lieutenant Lois Lane, Army!, originally published in The Flash #109, October-November 1959

There are also a few filler strips in this issue such as Crime Punishment!, originally published in Mr. District Attorney #27, May-June 1952 (subsequently reprinted in The Brave and the Bold #59, April-May 1965, most likely related to this issue); The Expanding Universe, originally published in My Greatest Adventure #47,September 1960; Amazing Speeds!, originally published in The Flash #109, October-November 1959; and The Greatest Robberies of All Time!, originally published in Detective Comics #338, April 1965 

Some of the stories reprinted in this issue are contemporaneous with their original US publication, however many appear to be recycled from the K.G. Murray vaults. For example, The Man Who Collected Excitement! previously appeared in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #3; The Electric Man! previously appeared in Strange Adventures #12; the Queen and I previously appeared in My Greatest Adventure #16; and Lieutenant Lois Lane, Army! previously appeared in Giant Lois Lane Album #1.

This issue contains an in-house advertisement for Super Adventure Comic:


It's curious that two of the characters used to promote Super Adventure Comic at this time - Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane - should be selected for backup feature status in Wonder Comic rather than being reserved for Super Adventure Comic. The recycled Strange Adventures and My Greatest Adventures features make more sense, given these series had expired many years earlier, as had Five-Score Comic Monthly a year or so beforehand.

I said above this issue is cover-dated September 1967. This is not a legitimate cover date, but rather a proxy cover date based on the date code KGM.WC.967 for the Peter Hastings stamps advertisement on the inner front cover.

I completed my run of Wonder Comic Monthly some 10 years ago. My copy of Wonder Comic Monthly #29 was a placeholder - a coverless rebound copy in my Gigantic Annual #9. I secured this copy of Wonder Comic Monthly #29 yesterday, so my run of this series is now legitimately complete. This is on the heels of completing my runs of Mighty Comic and Century Comic in the last couple of weeks. And, I also completed my run of Giant Lois Lane Album around 4 weeks ago. It's weird - nothing 'new' for  years and years, and then a sudden rush of elusive issues  - that's just how things roll in the Junkyard.

No comments: