Sunday, June 6, 2021

The Amazing Spider-Man #210: The Yaffa edition

Page Publications' The Amazing Spider-Man #210 was published c.January 1981:


The cover is from Marvel Comics' The Amazing Spider-Man #210:


The contents:

The Prophecy of Madame Web!, originally published in The Amazing Spider-Man #210, November 1980 

Spider-Man Goes Mad!, originally published in The Amazing Spider-Man #24, May 1965 

The Yaffa edition of The Amazing Spider-Man #210 is the first issue of the third phase of Yaffa's iteration of The Amazing Spider-Man series and as such it is formatted rather idiosyncratically. The Prophecy of Madame Web! is reprinted in full. The first seven pages and the last eight pages are printed in full colour, the rest in black and white. Spider-Man Goes Mad! is a partial reprint - only the first nine pages of this story are in this edition, and it is continued in the following issue. 

My collection of Marvel's The Amazing Spider-Man is huge. Some issues date to the 1960's, many are from the 1970's, and the run is complete from late-1980 to the current issue. This means I have a complete run of the title spanning more than 40 years. Specifically, my run is complete from The Amazing Spider-Man #211. I do not have the Amazing Spider-Man #210. This issue - and two others - would complete my run from #200 onwards. A cursory search on eBay suggests The Amazing Spider-Man #210 is now valued over $100 for a mid to high grade copy. Well, FMD, I ain't paying that much for that! Maybe one day I'll find a cheap low grade copy for under $10 just to fill in the gap. Otherwise I'm settling for this cheaply made low standard edition. 

2 comments:

Robert Thomas said...

I was buying this Yaffa series directly off the newstands when this came out in 1981. Quite an exciting time waiting for the next issues which seemed to be a month or two at a time, I was particularly anticipating the Steve Ditko reprints in the back as I had no idea how the run continued on after the Newton series finished. I wish I had kept my issues as I had dated them on the cover when I got them home and this sort of detail is now vague for me at best. However who knows, maybe some collector out there has cover dated ASM issues with my scribblings on them!

spiros xenos said...

It would be great to see them come up some time.