Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Secret Romances #35 and For Lovers Only #4: Jorge Badia Romero

Murray Publishers' Secret Romances #35 was published c.December 1979:

The cover art is by Jorge Badia Romeo and was originally published on the cover of Charlton's Time For Love #47:

Romero is the artist on Dream Come True which is the final story in Time For Love #47 and the lead story in Secret Romances #35, and this story includes this page:

The art on this page was modified and repurposed by Murray Publishers a month or so later as the cover on For Lovers Only #4:


The opening story in this issue is Another World, originally published in Charlton's Secrets of Young Brides #9:


As you can see, there is a very smooth transition between the cover image and the opening page in terms of art style and content, so only the most sharp eyed and obsessive of romance comics readers at the time would have noticed the seams on the Murray staffer's handiwork. Having said that, there is some query regarding the attribution of some of the art above to Romero, but I'll leave that to the experts.

I have indicated dates above for the two Murray Publishers issues. They are based on date markings on my copies and my profile of Murray comics in 1979. My dates do not tally with the dates on AusReprints, and I have not resolved this to my satisfaction as it appears to me there is a good case on AusReprints for For Lovers Only #4 being dated mid-1979. TBA.

No comments: