Wednesday, October 30, 2019

The Silver Surfer #1: The Newton edition


Newton Comics' The Silver Surfer #1 was published 27 September 1975:


The cover is from Marvel Comics' The Silver Surfer #1:


The story contents are as follows:

The Origin of the Silver Surfer!, originally published in The Silver Surfer #1, August 1968 
Call Her... Medusa!, originally published in Journey into Mystery #96, September 1963 

These stories appear to be reprinted complete and intact.

This issue included a Swap Card:


The card is Hulk Series A (1 of 15) No. 1 featuring the cover of The Incredible Hulk #1.

This issue contains in-house advertisements for the following Newton comics:

Doctor Strange #4 

Conan the Barbarian #4 


The Silver Surfer #1 was advertised as Out Next Week in Hulk King Size Annual #1:


It was also announced as "from this month onwards" in letter columns appearing in other September 1975 issues.

This issue also includes a two-page Marvel Mailbag spread, an advertisement for Origins of Marvel Comics, a t-shirt offer and a competition with the expiry date 10 November 1975.

3 comments:

firesurfer said...

Nice pic of the swap card. It's the only one I could find. Do you have a pic of the other side? I guess you have to do one side at at a time to avoid removing it from the staple.

spiros xenos said...

Sorry, firesurfer - the pic of the card is from an eBay listing I kept on file. Most of the pics of cards and posters on my blog are from my collection, but alas my copy of The Silver Surfer #1 does not have the card. However, when I do manage to get a complete copy, I'll put up fresh scans for you.

SimonFJ said...

Hi guys. Sorry, bit late to this thread. My copy does still have the swap card attached. Let me know if you still want a photo.